Archive for November 17, 2018
In 2017, the U.S. paving industry brought in $38 billion and employed 284,626 people across 195,603 businesses.
If you’re in charge of overseeing a commercial parking lot, it’s your responsibility to not only ensure proper installation of the pavement, but make sure it is repaved and efficiently maintained year after year. From parking striping to concrete mixing, there is a lot of information that you should be aware of when repaving or sealcoating a parking lot.
Here are some frequently asked questions pertaining to repaving or sealcoating commercial parking lots:
- Does repayment actually improve longevity? – Yes it certainly does. In fact, smoother pavement can extend general pavement life by as little as 10% and as much as 25%. The life expectancy of a well-designed, well-maintained asphalt parking lot ranges between 15 to 30 years. Conversely, if you don’t properly maintain and reseal your lot, it will significantly deteriorate in as little as five to seven years.
- What are the benefits of parking striping? – Having bright, clear parking stripping looks great and actually creates an inviting first impression. Additionally, it can produce a better driver experience and actually reduce your risk of liability, subsequently saving you a lot of money in the long run.
- How strong is fresh concrete? – Concrete is a mix of 60% to 65% crushed stone, sand, and gravel; 15% to 20% water; and 10% to 20% cement. The typical compressive strength of concrete ranges from 3,000 to 7,000 PSI.
- How often should an asphalt lot be resealed? – Newly laid asphalt parking lots should be resealed within one year after installation. Additionally, asphalt lots should be resealed at least every two to three years afterwards. Sealing is a great way to avoid expensive repairs and maintain a nice-looking, smooth parking lot.
- How much asphalt is recommended? – For larger parking lots, it’s recommended to use at least 7.5 inches of hot mix asphalt on a subgrade base.
If you want to learn more about parking striping, concrete maintenance, or general pavement services, give us a call today.