The absence of proper fall protection has again been identified as the most frequent OSHA violation. As a company or supervisor in the cable and rigging industry, this issue should be a cause for concern. Today, one of the most reliable fall protection measures is using nylon lifting straps.
Keeping this in mind, whether working in the logging sector or using cable and rigging products in any other way, finding the right ones can be a challenge. This is because the market is saturated with products that, to a large extent, don’t live up to the hype they create.
When it comes to safety, falling below the expectations is dangerous. It is for this reason that you should make sure you go for the best quality products as they will help keep your workers safe. Here are the characteristics of excellent nylon lifting straps that provide proper fall protection.
1. Load protection
For the maximum safety of your workers, the synthetic slings that you settle for should offer load protection. This means that they should be:
- Pliable: Thus, they can easily be flexed or bent.
- Elastic: This means that the sling will be able to absorb shock better.
- Provide a tight grip on the load by conforming to it.
- Hold the finished surfaces of a load without scratching it.
How do the synthetic slings you are looking to purchase perform? Here are some performance factors that you should take into account:
- Durability: The nylon lifting sling that you settle for should be durable. It should be able to withstand multiple uses without much wear and tear.
- Strength: The lifting sling should be strong enough to carry loads without breaking. This will keep your workers safe in a situation where they are dealing with lots of heavy loads.
- The synthetic strap should be resistant to damage by particular chemical exposure, moisture, and UV.
- They can be used in more than one application. Getting multipurpose synthetic slings means that you won’t have to buy many of them for your business because the ones you will have will be suitable for all your lifting needs.
- The strap should be resistant to abrasion.
- The nylon straps should be able to work optimally in temperatures below 194°F.
- The nylon lifting straps should be lightweight and, therefore, be easy for workers to store and handle. The lighter the straps, the lesser the risk of injury to workers handling them.
You should make sure that all the nylon straps that you get meet the safety standards put down by ASME B30.9 and OSHA. If the cable and rigging, products exceed these standards, the better.
Finding the suitable cable and rigging products supplier
As a company or supervisor, finding the right supplier for your cable and rigging products will help keep your workers safe. Though this is not an easy undertaking, here are some factors that you need to put into consideration to help you make the right choice. These factors are:
You should find a supplier with the best market experience. The longer the experience of the supplier, the more market know-how they have. If you need specialized cable and rigging products like heavy-duty web slings, the experienced supplier can quickly get them for you.
In some cases, the supplier may even have them in stock. Therefore, you don’t have to waste any time waiting for the product to be shipped from the manufacturer.
• Proof testing
When purchasing equipment that needs to adhere to high standards of safety, you must proof test it. Doing this will guarantee the quality and integrity of your nylon lifting straps.
Therefore, you should make sure all the cable and rigging products you buy are proof tested before you leave the supplier’s shop. This will not only give you peace of mind but also keep your workers safe.
If nylon lifting straps are not good enough for your applications, you can opt for grade 100 steel chain slings. Check our website for in-depth guidance.