Picture yourself in your local grocery store. You’re surrounded by thousands of different items, each with its own packaging and slogans as companies try and entice you to buy their products. Most of it is bright and colorful and there’s no doubt it gets your attention. In fact, a 2016 West Rock Consumer Insights Study found that 66% of customers try a new product because they’re drawn to its packaging.
Packaging may be catchy, but it also serves a more important purpose. It’s designed for holding food, preserving and protecting food, transporting food and ultimately selling food to customers like you.
From packaging for food grade bags to fruit packaging to chocolate packaging to even coffee bag packaging, food packaging as many benefits including:
- Containing products: You may not know it, but there’s a lot of science and engineering that goes into making packaging for food grade bags for packaging as well as vegetable packaging, spice packaging, tea packaging and many other types of packaging and making sure that it works the way it’s supposed to. When companies design packaging, they want to make sure that chemical reactions don’t occur during packaging or in transit. This is the biggest reason why many packaging regulations are very strict around the globe.
- Preserving food: When packaging for food grade bags and other types of packaging are created, they’re made to keep food safe and also to keep them fresh as long as possible. With the right packaging, many types of food can stay on store shelves for long periods of time.
- Protecting food: Whatever type of food is being packaged, be it beer or fresh fish or potato chips, it’s done in such a way as to protect its integrity as well as its quality. But this isn’t always easy. Certain kinds of food can be affected by light and other variables, causing their quality to be compromised and causing the food to spoil. Packaging also protects food by keeping it safe from contamination, whether it’s man-made or natural.
- Communication: It’s one thing to construct a vessel to protect food and hold food, but packaging must also communicate to a customer what’s inside different kinds of packaging. The best kind of packaging communicate to a customer what a product’s ingredients are, how to cook that product (or use it if it isn’t food) and alert a consumer of any allergen information. Studies have shown that 85% of customers’ purchasing decisions are influenced by reading product packaging while they shop and the most effective packaging can entice a consumer to buy a product as well as trust a particular brand.
As you can see, there are many benefits to packaging as it relates to food and other products. But customized packaging can work just as effectively for small businesses as it can for national brands. Customized packaging for small business can have the following benefits:
- Cultivating trust: It’s been established that the majority of Americans read labels when you’re in a store. You can print your own custom bags to catch a customer’s attention, which will make them trust your products and make the things you’re selling more appealing. A customer may only spend a few seconds looking at a product and you want to be sure your packaging makes a good first impression.
- Standing out: If you can create packaging that’s professional, but also creative people will notice. This is why many national brands are so well-known. What does the mean for your business? It means that custom packaging can grab a customer’s attention and keep it.
- Customization: These days, it’s very easy to create custom logos to put on all kinds of packaging. So whether you’re talking about packaging for food grade bags or food packaging, you can customize them in a way that works for your business. You can create different colored packaging for items that are similar but might be different (like different flavors of a particular kind of food).
When it comes to packaging, it serves a very important purpose, but also allows businesses to be creative should they choose to do so. Showing a little creativity is a great way to stand out from the competition.