There’s no doubt that American consumers love to buy. In fact, an estimated two-thirds of the United States’ GDP comes from the retail industry. Around the globe, retail sales are expected to hit $27.7 trillion by 2020.
High retail sales mean lots of product shipping to stores all across the country and lots of pallets used to ship those items. For businesses the world over, pallets are a key tool when it comes to the shipping, storing and upkeep of products.
Benefits of pallets include:
- Easy to move: One of the biggest advantages of pallets, regardless of their material, is their portability. For many businesses, it’s easy to move product in large amounts on pallets because many items can be combined on a single pallet before it’s shipped or stored. This keeps products from being damaged and makes extra stock easy to store.
- Lightweight: Pallets are usually pretty lightweight and don’t take up much space. That means it’s easy to store dozens or hundreds of pallets in a warehouse and it means empty pallets are very easy to move.
- Strength: Compared to other methods of shipping like cardboard boxes and heavy plastic wrap, pallets of all types are stronger. That means shippers can easily use pallets to stack heavier objects without fear of the pallet breaking during transit or during the packing process. Pallets are usually stored up off the ground as well, keeping them away from hazards like dirt and water.
- Recycling: For eco-friendly companies, pallets made from any kind of material can be very easily recycled. Plastic pallets and metal pallets can easily be broken down and reused for other things. Wooden pallets which have broken down or been put out of commission, can be disassembled and used for firewood or reassembled into something else. Crafty folks often look for wooden pallets for sale to build a variety of things such as shelves and gardening boxes with used pallets.
If you’re looking to ship your stuff, there are many advantages to using wooden pallets or plastic pallets. There are disadvantages to both as well.
- They are cost effective
- They can easily be resold, so if you’re looking for pallets for sale, there are likely some available close to you
- They have high friction when compared to metal pallets or plastic pallets
- They can be easily recycled
- They can be easily repaired, since they are usually made up of various boards
- They are hard to clean, especially if they become wet
- There’s a risk of being harmed by splinters or nails
- They have a lifespan of more than 10 years
- They are about 30% lighter than wooden pallets, which make them easier to move
- They are safer to handle since you don’t have to worry about screws or splinters
- They are chemical resistant
- They are 100% recyclable
- They can be used in all climates
- They can easily be cleaned and sterilized between uses
- They tend to be more expensive than wooden pallets
- They are not so easy to repair if they break
Pallets can also be of great benefit to the average homeowner. Let’s say you’re moving into a new house and you’ve got a lot of stuff to move; pallets can be one of the best and most effective ways to transport your belongings from Point A to Point B. If you’re looking for used pallets for sale or new wood pallets for sale to help with moving, many online companies offer them at reasonable prices or you can check your local hardware store to see if they’ve got recycled wood pallets for sale. You might get lucky and get a few of them free of charge.
If you’re a Florida resident, an online search of “wooden pallets Miami,”wooden pallets Orlando” or a search for another city can help you find just what you’re looking for.